- UBC Senate homepage
- Council of Senates
- Senate Staff
- Vancouver Senate
- Okanagan Senate
- Senate minutes search
Establishment of the Council of Senates
The following list of recommendations made by the joint Vancouver/Okanagan ad hoc Committee to Consider the Council of Senates were accepted by the Okanagan Senate at its meeting of December 5, 2005. For the full report of the Ad Hoc Committee and the associated Vancouver Senate discussion, please see the January 27, 2006 Meeting Minutes.
The Okanagan Senate accepted the ad hoc Committee's recommendation that the Rules and Procedures for the Council of Senates be drafted to reflect:
- That a motion undertaken by either campus-based Senate to refer a matter to the Council of Senates be carried by a 3/4 majority of those Senators present and voting.
- That items for referral are normally brought to either Senate for a vote by the Agenda Committee (at UBC Vancouver) or the Policies & Procedures Committee (at UBC Okanagan). This does not preclude, however, items arising from the floor.
- That the quorum for transaction of business by the Council of Senates be set at a minimum of 50% of the Council members from each campus.
- That the Council of Senates membership initially be as follows:
- Academic Vice-President UBC Vancouver
- Deputy Vice-Chancellor UBC Okanagan
- Four UBC Vancouver senators elected by UBC Vancouver Senate (two students, one convocation, one elected faculty)
- Four UBC Okanagan senators elected by UBC Okanagan Senate (two students, one convocation, one elected faculty)
- One UBC Vancouver designate appointed by the President
- One UBC Okanagan designate appointed by the President
- Six chairs of Vancouver Senate standing committees*
- Six chairs of Okanagan Senate standing committees*
*Note from the Senate Secretary: Preliminary Council membership was later modified to stipulate three Chairs of Senate Standing Committees from each campus, for a total of six Committee Chairs. For more information about the Council of Senates, including current Rules & Procedures and membership, please see the Council of Senates website.
This information is for quick reference. For the full text of the Minutes of Senate, which include the motions and discussion, please see the Minutes Archive.